Montgomery Houze is finally moving forward.
The building at 210-216 S. Fourth Ave. has had a tragic history, rife with fires, neglect, foreclosure, and at least one shady owner. The latest chapter in the story is beginning to look far more promising, however.
Built in 1928 as a Montgomery Ward department store, it shared its architect, and urns-and-swag facade, with the First National Building around the corner. But in 1950 and 1960, the store suffered devastating fires, emerging with a “modern” metal face. Ward’s moved to Arborland and eventually went out of business.